Our bed is a place of rest and relaxation, where we are able to escape the chaos and face paced momentum of our everyday world. The only thing that makes settling into bed for the night even more pleasurable is cuddling up with our dog.
Whether you have a small breed of dog that nestles by your feet each night or a larger breed that sprawls out next to you, most of us love sleeping the night away with our canine companion. In fact, sharing the bed with your dog increases bonding, and it can also make you feel safe and protected, knowing he’s just an arm’s reach away.
There’s only one drawback to these nightly sleepovers – the amount of dog hair you find coating your comforter and bed in the morning. Particularly in people who suffer from allergies, this pet hair and dander collecting on the bed can lead to respiratory difficulty, watery eyes, and other symptoms.
If you’re going to share your bed with your dog, it’s necessary to acquire a comforter that’s made to deal with all these problems. Below are the best comforters for dog hair.
Our Top Best Comforters for Dog Hair
1. Amrapur Reversible Comforter
You can get this stylish comforter for just about any size bed, ranging from twin to king. Also, it’s available in no less than 18 different colors, so you’re sure to find something that matches your taste. The reversible feature gives you even more options for colors as well.
On the outside, the comforter’s made from pure microfiber, which is incredibly soft. There’s also a built-in hypoallergenic barrier that repels mildew and dust mites, as well as the dander that collects in your dog’s fur. Plus, the polyester stuffing acts as a great alternative to traditional down comforters.
Not only does the comforter’s beautiful colors endure through repeated washings, but cleaning the pet hair is also very easy, as you can simply toss it in your washing machine and tumble dry on low heat.
This product is manufactured by Amrapur Overseas Inc., a family run company that’s been specializing in home goods for 40 years. Each package includes one comforter/duvet insert.
- Reversible color feature
- Mock down filling maximizes comfort
- Colors stay vibrant after washing
- The filling can get bunched up in places and you’ll have to shake it out.
What did we think? This comforter is a great option for you and your pet. Warm in the winter and cool in the summer, the mock-down filling is guaranteed for a good night’s rest for both of you.
2. Buffy Comforter
Available in everything from a twin to a California King, this comforter has a unique design that prevents pet hair buildup, soothes your skin and creates a comfortable, healthy sleeping environment for you and your dog.
Made from a eucalyptus fabric shell, this material isn’t only superior at retaining heat and wicking away moisture, but it’s also incredibly soft to the touch. Plus, The material is ideal for repelling dust mites, mildew, mold, and other allergens, and the filling material is made from recycled PET fill.
This means that your plastic water bottles might actually have wound up being what keeps you warm at night!
The comforter itself is slightly weighed, which many report gives them a deeper, more comfortable sleep. It’s also easy to clean – simply wipe your hand or a damp rag down the surface to remove any pet hair that remains in the morning.
This product is manufactured by Buffy, an online company that specializes in uniquely comfortable and practical bedding. Each package includes one comforter, as well as a limited money back guarantee.
- Unique material, incredibly soft and comfortable
- Resistant to pet hair, dander, allergens, mold, and mildew
- PET filling is environmentally friendly
- Can be somewhat awkward to manipulate by yourself
- Stays in prime condition only when it’s dry-cleaned
- Can be quite wrinkled until steamed or dry-cleaned for the first time
What did we think? This comforter is an excellent option if you’re looking for a comforter that’s easy to keep clean while still repelling allergens and pet dander. Its unique material will keep you and your pet warm throughout the night, and the eco-friendly filling is great at helping to reduce your carbon footprint.
3. Downluxe Comforter Set
This great looking, pet-friendly comforter is available for twin, queen, and even king-sized mattresses. So even if you enjoy sleeping with plenty of room, your dog has a chance to cuddle up as well. It’s also reversible and comes in 11 different colors, so you can change the color scheme according to mood.
It’s made from 100% brushed microfiber, which makes it both comfortable and practical and it provides warmth without being stifling. Likewise, it has a hypoallergenic barrier, so your dog can sleep to his heart’s content without you having to worry about pet dander or other allergens.
The Downluxe is extremely convenient, as you don’t have to spend a lot of time brushing it off or spending money at the dry cleaners. Simply toss it in the washing machine on the cold-water setting and gently tumble dry or hang it out in the sun. Also, the entire comforter is relatively lightweight, which means you won’t find yourself overheating in the middle of the night.
The product is made by Downluxe, which prides itself on supplying customers with exceptionally comfy and durable products. What’s even better is that this product contains more than just a comforter, it also comes with two matching pillow shams. In case you aren’t totally happy with the product, there’s also a money back guarantee.
- Multiple sizes and color options
- Reversible color feature
- Has an allergen barrier
- Comes with two pillow shams
- Some customers report the sizes run a little short on the sides
What did we think? With this comforter, your dog can sleep with you whenever you want and you don’t have to worry about having a huge mess to clean up afterward. The soft material coupled with a stylish design and multiple color options means that there’s something to love for everyone.
4. JL Home Collection 100% Silk Comforter
This comforter is only available for twin beds. The classic color naturally conceals most pet hair, and the material makes for a luxuriously comfortable night’s sleep.
Made from cotton and filled with pure silk floss, this is like having a comfy cloud covering you each night. Besides being surprisingly warm, it also resists your pets’ claws and allows you to easily shake the hair from its surface each morning when you make the bed.
The antimicrobial and allergen resistant material is suitable even for those with very sensitive skin while protecting against dust and mildew build-up.
This is a very versatile selection as well, as it can be modified for each season. In the summer months, it stands alone as a comforter, yet in the colder winter months, you can use it as a duvet cover for a thicker quilt.
This product is manufactured by JL Home Collection, a derivative of JL the Boutique. While the majority of the goods put out are related to clothing, there’s an impressive home goods selection available as well, most of which include luxurious and practical bedding options. Each package includes one comforter.
- Luxuriously soft and resistant to pet hair and allergens
- An excellent option for people with very sensitive skin
- Highly versatile, can be modified to suit warmer or cold climates
- Some found it a little cumbersome when taking it off and on the bed
- Twin size only
What did we think? This comforter is truly the entire package – a comfortable, pet hair resistant comforter that’s both versatile and able to stand up to everyday use.
5. LINENSPA All-Season Comforter
Designed to fit a multitude of mattress sizes, ranging from extra-large twin to a California King, there’s plenty of room for multiple dogs. The LINENSPA is available in seven different reversible color combinations, so you can change up the look of your room simply with the flip of a comforter.
Made from 100% microfiber, this product not only works to keep pet dander, dust mites and other allergens from clinging to it, but it also makes for an incredibly comfortable sleeping spot. The mid-weight material means that you’re able to get enough warmth without worrying about getting too hot in the middle of the night. Likewise, the ultra-soft material contained inside conforms with your body and movements, so it won’t bunch up in certain areas or require daily shaking.
The comforter is safe for both the washing machine and dryer and while comforters of this time have only enough side loops to secure the product at four points, this one boasts eight points. This not only makes it easier to carry and transport, but it also helps with the drying process.
The product is manufactured by LINENSPA, a company that prides itself on producing high-quality sheets and other bedding at relatively reasonable prices. Each product contains the comforter, as well as a three-year warranty.
- Reversible color combos
- Secures at eight spots
- Mid-weight for ideal warmth
- Material is a little bit thin
What did we think? If you suffer from allergies but still want to share your bed with your dog, this comforter is a viable option for you to explore.
6. Mellanni Bedspread Coverlet Set
While technically not a comforter, if you have a larger sized bed (King or California King), this durable yet incredibly quilt will supply you with a cozy, soft spot for anyone who wishes. You, your significant other and your dog can sleep the night away with ample room left over for everyone!
Made from brushed microfiber, even the sharpest of claws won’t cause the bedspread to wear out or unravel. Pet hair and dander is quickly removed with the brush of a hand, while the hypoallergenic material prevents dust mites and other irritants.
The maintenance is incredibly convenient as you can simply toss the bedspread into the washing machine on cold and tumble dry on low to restore it to pristine condition. Available in 7 different colors, the design is both classy and understated, making an elegant addition to any bedroom.
This product is manufactured by Mellanni, a company that prides itself on over a decade of selling only the finest linens. Each set contains an oversized coverlet, as well as two pillow shams and a 100% lifetime guarantee.
- Ideal for larger sized beds and larger sized/multiple dogs
- Resists wear and tear and preventing pet hair build-up
- Simple to clean and maintain
- Lightweight and easy to take off and on the bed
- A lifetime guarantee
- Some report that the material is somewhat stiff at first
- Can be a little thin for those who prefer to sleep with a heavier blanket
What did we think? This bedspread is a great buy for anyone with a larger sized bed. You don’t have to worry about bunching or tight corners, and you can also rest assured that the material is exceptionally soft and built for large breeds or multiple dogs curling up with you at night.
Duvet Covers and Sheets for Dog Owners
Nestl Bedding Duvet Cover Set
A duvet cover is an absolutely wonderful choice for anyone who doesn’t want to compromise quality and cleanliness at the expense of allowing their dog to sleep with them. With such a soft, comfortable fabric that keeps hair to a minimum, you can’t go wrong.
Whether you have a smaller sized twin bed or live large with the California King style, with just over 20 different colors, there’s likely a Nesti duvet cover that will beautifully fit your bed and your taste.
Made from double-brushed microfibers, this duvet cover provides ultimate comfort and convenience. It has that luxury hotel quality feel and a lightweight, breathable material that will keep you comfortable even during the warmest months. It’s also hypoallergenic, so it guards against dust mites, pet dander, and other potential irritants.
Simply slip this duvet cover over an existing comforter or quilt of comparable size to allow your dog to sleep soundly beside you without leaving a mess behind. It also comes clean easily in the washing machine and you can tumble dry it on low heat.
This product is made by Nesti, a company that focuses on supplying bedding for pet moms and dads. Their pet-friendly products not only combat wrinkles, odor, and allergens, but they’re environmentally friendly as well. The package includes only a duvet cover specified to your individual bed size along with two matching pillow shams. Be aware that you must already have an existing comforter to put the product to its proper use. There’s also a money back guarantee if you’re not happy.
- Multiple sizes and colors
- Made from double-brushed microfibers
- Ultra-soft and Hypoallergenic
- A little awkward to move around
Alternative Duvet Cover Set
This duvet cover set from Amazon offers 12 different unique styles for a twin, queen or king-sized bed, which makes it a lovely choice for anyone who enjoys sharing their bed with their furry friends.
Made entirely from cotton, this set is super soft and snuggly. Its hypoallergenic surface ensures a good night’s sleep, while its anti-fading properties help to prevent premature wear and tear. The material is also designed to combat wrinkles in the fabric, as well as to combat dog hair sticking to the fibers.
The product is manufactured by Style Bedding Direct, which specializes in quality bedding choices sold primarily online. Each package contains the duvet cover, as well as two matching pillow shams.
- Hypoallergenic and breathable
- Repels dog hair and wrinkles
- Lots of options to choose from
- Although it can be machine washed and dried, dry cleaning is preferred
Nesti Bedding Sheet Set
If you’re interested in a sheet set that also prevents pet hair build-up, this is a perfect choice.
It’s available in every size imaginable, including twin beds all the way up to a Flex-top king and it also comes in multiple color options that won’t fade with repeated washing, so your dog can shed to his heart’s content.
These sheets are made from premium microfiber that provides you with a hotel-like experience. They’re also lightweight and breathable, which will keep you cool even on the warmest nights by wicking away moisture. Likewise, they’re insulating in the colder months, so you don’t have to worry about changing your bedding selection depending upon the season. And since they’re hypoallergenic, it means you won’t sneeze all night due to your pet’s dander or other irritants.
For easy clean, you can simply toss them in the washing machine then tumble dry on low.
The product is made by Nesti. This company is all about providing customers with pet-friendly bedding that is at once comfortable to sleep in while also being stylish. It comes with one fitted sheet, a top sheet, and two pillowcases. If you aren’t 100% happy, the company has a no hassle money back guarantee to boot!
- Excellent option for pet hair resistant sheets
- Multiple sizes and colors
- Made from premium microfiber
- Lightweight, breathable, and easy to clean
- Money back guarantee
- The sheets are quite thin
The Best (and Worst) Fabrics for Dog Hair
Choosing any kind of bedding for dog hair starts with the right fabrics. Generally, smooth and high thread count fabrics don’t hold onto pet hair well.
Simply put, the higher the thread count, the more tightly woven together the fibers. Tightly woven fibers are excellent at repelling pet hair, so you’re less likely to have to constantly clean the comforter. Also, higher thread counts have a more luxurious feel to them, so you and your dog can sleep in style.
Cotton: Tightly woven cotton doesn’t have areas that allow dog hair to become embedded in the fabric. It’s also relatively inexpensive and comfortable for regulating body temperature.
Microfiber: These comforters are constructed from lots of baby-fine polyester fibers. Not only does the tight weave prevent against hair imbedding itself in the fiber, but it’s also very easy to wipe clean and even vacuum to remove any pet hair that does build up.
Pleather: This is simply a synthetic leather. While this may initially seem to not be an ideal choice for a comforter, pleather makes for a wonderfully soft and cuddly material. Better yet, there’s no comparison to its ability to repel pet hair. Even simply wiping your hand down a pleater comforter each morning goes a long way to keeping dog hair at bay.
Silk: This fabric feels absolutely luxurious, but it also allows even the finest of pet hairs to easily slip away. Silk is a natural fiber derived from silkworms, while satin is a silk fabric weave. Both materials are known for their soft, comfortable feel, as well as for the way the easily keep pet hair from clinging to their surface. However, they tend to get snagged and stained quite easily.
On the other hand, you should avoid any rough texture and open weave fabrics such as chenille, tweed, and velvet.
What Else Should You Look for in a Comforter?
Aside from its hair repelling properties, there are a few other things which play an important part in selecting a comforter that’s ideal for you and your dog:
- Allergen And Microbe Resistant – The more that your comforter is able to keep dander and fur at bay, the less likely you are to notice any irritation.
- Mold And Mildew Resistant – As mentioned before, sometimes our canine companions like to jump onto the bed and roll around when their coat and paws are in less than ideal condition. Having a comforter that wicks away moisture prevents buildup from repeated exposure to dampness.
- Stain Resistant – Some of the best comforters for dogs have stains or water-resistant properties. This means that even if your dog jumps up onto the bed after romping around in a muddy, wet backyard, your comforter will still quickly come clean and dry out.
- Easy To Clean – Even the most fur-resistant material is susceptible to collecting dirt or acquiring stains. You want something that can be simply wiped down with a damp cloth between washings, and likewise, something that can be tossed in the washing machine and dryer rather than needing to be hand-washed.
- Lightweight – Every time you go to make your bed or wash your bedding, you’ll regret purchasing an overly heavy comforter. Look for something that’s at once easy to maneuver and wash while still providing ample warmth.
- Compatible Colors – Pet owners with darker colored dogs would do better to gravitate towards darker colored sheets, while those with dogs of a lighter hue will minimize the appearance of pet hair with whites, cream or other light colors.
How to Remove Dog Hair from Your Bedding?
Of course, the easiest way is to wash your bedding in your washing machine on the coldest setting, then tumble dry low or spread out in the sunshine to dry. This isn’t always practical though, as who wants to wash their bedding every single day?
Here are a few items you can use to remove pet hair from your bedding:
- Damp Sponge (or Washcloth) – The dampness will help attract the fur, so it winds up on the sponge instead of in your bed.
- Rubber Gloves – Rubber gloves also draw pet hair to them like a magnet, so simply running your hands over your bed a few times can really make a difference.
- Lint Roller – A favorite tool for pet owners to remove hair from their clothes, it also works well on your bedding. The only disadvantage is the relatively small size of most lint rollers compared to the larger surface area of a comforter. It’s great for targeting smaller areas on the bed though, such as your dog’s favorite napping spot.
- Sticky Tape – If you don’t have a lint roller handy, using strips of tape will quickly remove the hair from your bedding. Again, this isn’t the most practical option, but it’s cost effective and works well in a pinch.
If you’re a person who considers your pets to be a part of the family, you’ll want to keep them in the forefront of your mind anytime you’re shopping for a new comforter. We especially like these comforters and consider them to be the best comforters for dog hair out there.
Obviously, you want to find something that’s comfortable enough for you to sleep in each and every night and that doesn’t need to be run to the dry cleaners or through the wash every other day. Likewise, it’s important to look for materials that naturally repel hair, allergens, and stains and that can be used across multiple seasons.